2 Lower Chestnut Street first had planning permission applied for in 1798 but it was turned down due to lack of detail required for the stone masons work above the main window.
Permission was granted in 1803 and that’s when Edmund Simmonds, the developer, started work and completed the build of the shop and the adjacent “ginnel” within the year.
Comparing the design of the finish with those of other local terrace builds (see the fittings page and “The English Terrace House” by Stefan Muthesius), the windows and door design matches the adjacent terraced houses. This was partly to stay in keeping with the adjacent houses, and partly down to money. Mr. Simunds could bulk-buy material from manufacturers to keep costs down and the consistency up.