There is government help for the self-employed and casual workers.
Please read this and know you are supported.

Latest update from the Economic Development team at Worcester City Council

View this email in your browser

Government help for the self-employed

Welcome to the second newsletter from the Worcester City Council Economic Development Team. We are contacting you to let you know about business support available to you during the Coronavirus pandemic. We intend to keep you updated regularly throughout the crisis and beyond.

Please forward this newsletter on to anyone who may find it useful. If you have been forwarded this email and would like to be added to the mailing list, please contact us on economy. If you would like to unsubscribe, please click the link at the bottom of this email.

Yesterday the Chancellor announced a major package of support for the self-employed. Here’s a summary:

What is the support available?

  • HMG will pay the self-employed a taxable grant worth 80% of their average monthly profits over the last three years – up to a maximum of £2500 per month
  • This will be available for three months and will be extended if necessary
  • People can claim these grants and continue to do business

Who can apply?

You can apply if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and:

  • You have submitted your Income Tax Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19
  • You traded in the tax year 2019-20
  • You are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19
  • You intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020-21
  • You have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19
  • Your trading profits are less than £50,000
  • More than half your income comes from self employment

Please note:

If you started trading between 2016-19, HMRC will only use those years for which you filed a self-assessment tax return.

If you have not submitted your Income Tax Self-Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19, then this must be done by 23 April 2020.

How To Apply

You cannot apply for this scheme yet. HMRC will contact you if you are eligible for the scheme and invite you to apply online.

Once HMRC has received your claim and you are eligible for the grant, they will contact you to tell you how much you will get and the payment details. The aim is to pay at the beginning of June (3 months backdated). They are hoping to be quicker than this but are having to design two new systems.

HMRC have asked individuals not to contact them at this point in time to avoid further delays in implementing the new system.
The scheme can only be accessed through GOV.UK.

Who does the scheme not apply to?

  • Directors of your own company and paid through PAYE. You may be able to get support using the Job Retention Scheme.
  • Anyone with a trading profit over £50,000
  • Anyone who is recently self employed and does not have a full year of accounts. The eligible tax years are 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19

What other help is there for the self-employed?

Contact the Team

Worcester City Council Economic Development
Telephone: 01905 722106
Email: economy
Twitter: @worcesterecon

Copyright © 2020 Worcester City Council, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because we have spoken to you about business support in Worcester.

Our mailing address is:
Worcester City Council The Guildhall
High Street
Worcester, Worcestershire WR1 2EY United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.